Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Layer Cakes...

So I got the most beautiful Kashmir Layer Cake this week and I am just loving it and cannot wait to figure out what I am going to make with it.  For those of you that are not familiar with this term, Layer Cakes are 10 x 10 inch fabric squares that are usually from a specific fabric line from Moda.  You get about 42 squares in each Layer Cake.  Purchasing a Layer Cake gives you a more varied selection of the fabric line as many local quilt shops don't carry the entire fabric line.  I tend to gravitate towards scrappy quilts anyways and so the idea of using lots of fabrics appeals to me. So...now I just need to decide what project to do with it.  I would love it if I could get a few people to join me in a project so I will share my pattern once I have decided and maybe I can get a few more followers to join in. :) 
The Austin Quilt Show is coming up this weekend and I plan on being there!  I love to look at other peoples work and see what they have come up with as well as admire their piecing, applique and threadwork.  I am really looking forward to going and plan on taking photos as well.  Another great thing about these shows is that if you are in to Art Quilting as well you can pick up some really cool products at these shows.  The last show I went to I acquired some silk thread pods that are just incredible and really get my imagine going on things that I could do with them.  Art Quilting is another avenue of Quilting that I really enjoy because it really allows you complete liberty to be as creative as you would like with all types of varied media that some might not even think to use. I have learned how to recycle some really cool stuff that I never would have thought previously to use. Isn't imagination wonderful?   I really need to finish up my Under The Sea art quilt and get a picture posted as well.  I guess I just have my hands in so many projects at one time...but I think from the way all my fellow quilters speak this is pretty normal for us.
Well I hope everyone is enjoying their September, it is National Sewing Month after all!  I don't know about you but I am looking forward to the weekend and my extra quilting time.  Happy Quilting! 

3 comments:

  1. Linda,
    I am drowning waiting to see that under the sea quilt finished. Get a move on, woman, you're making us all hold our breath a little too long.
    Love ya,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really want to see that art quilt too! It sounds so cool! Can't wait to hear how the quilt show goes this weekend - I hope you have a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! You know I picked up some beads at the Austin Quilt Show this weekend to go on that quilt, they looked sort of like coral to me. I think I have too many irons in the fire right now, but I promise to work on it soon!

    ReplyDelete